It is finally Christmas Eve and guests are set to arrive soon. This is such an exciting time of the year, but with all the Holiday parties, cookie swaps it is an eating fest. I am always in this “in between” place, looking to have something light and healthy and also ready to start making the big Holiday dishes. I decided to start the day with this easy, vegetable egg white omelet.
I finished my grocery shopping for the big day so in an attempt to avoid the craziness at the grocery store, I pulled out a few things that I had both in my garden and in my fridge.
My items on hand are baby spinach (one of the two things growing in my winter garden), egg whites, portobello mushrooms and feta cheese. I could write several pages about how much I love feta cheese, but I’ll hold back on that. It may seem too crazy. It may be too early in this blog to reveal the deep love of feta cheese. I especially love feta cheese mixed with eggs but I think it is even better with egg whites because a little goes a long way. Egg whites which can be very bland and they get transformed by the salty, bold flavor of feta.
For this, I use a nonstick pan because it makes handling egg whites so much easier. I first saute mushrooms for a few minutes then add spinach and cook until it is just wilted. At this point, I add a touch of salt and pepper. Once the vegetables are cooked, I take them out of the pan, place on a plate, dry the pan and then add a little oil and proceed to cook the egg whites. I like the egg whites cooked well, so I always flip the omelet. This is where that nonstick pan comes in very handy. Once it is flipped, I add the vegetables and feta cheese, fold and watch the magic happen When feta starts to melt, it is ready to go. In my recipe I measured this out to 1 tsp of feta, but mine was very very generous. I do not measure that part very carefully.
I like pairing this with a side of berries, but also works great with a side of avocado.
- ⅓ cup baby bella mushrooms,trimmed and rough chopped
- 1 cup baby spinach, rough chopped
- 1 tsp feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 egg whites or liquid egg whites equivalent
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 to 2 tsp olive oil or cooking spray
- Heat 1 tsp of olive oil using a non stick pan over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and cook until they begin to release their liquid,about 2 minutes.
- Once the mushrooms have softened, add chopped spinach and cook for about 30 seconds until it wilts.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the vegetables out of the pan and dry out the pan with a paper towel.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil and heat for a few seconds, then add egg whites.
- Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes then flip. Add vegetables and crumbled feta, then fold the omelette in half. Cook for another 30 seconds to a minute, until egg whites are browned. Feta cheese should start to melt.
- Plate as desired. Can be served with a side of vegetables or a side of fresh berries