Lately my son’s unexplained love of olives has me craving Greek salads. I just love the salty, vinegary, fresh flavors that are so dominant in this salad. I also think it is a great way to get a wonderful meal on the table in about 15 minutes, only a few minutes if you are not doing a protein topping that requires cooking.
I usually use an organic 50/50 blend of lettuce (half spinach, half spring mix) then I top with my ingredients of choice. This almost always includes the following: feta, tomatoes, olives (I use both green and kalamata), red onions and fresh cucumber.
A couple of nights ago this was our dinner and we topped with pan grilled shrimp. I seasoned the shrimp with salt, pepper, a touch of oregano and quickly seared them in a pan lightly coated with oil. Once they cooked through, I topped them with a generous squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Other times, I may add chicken or for a vegetarian option about half a cup of garbanzo beans.
I usually dress this salad with my basic red wine vinaigrette dressing, but any favorite dressing will work.
- 4-5 cups of tender salad greens, recommended 50/50 blend
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup feta crumbles or chuck of feta crumbled up
- ¼ cup red onion sliced or diced
- 1 small pickling cucumber, sliced into half moons
- 8 olives
- salt and pepper to taste
- shake of dried oregano
- 4-5 T red wine vinaigrette
- Optional top with grilled chicken or shrimp.
- Evenly divide lettuce between two large bowls. Top with each salad bowl with half of tomatoes, feta, onion, cucumber and olives. Drizzle with dressing and enjoy.