Super easy summertime strawberry mojito, made with fresh mint and juicy, ripe strawberries.
Summertime just calls for these types of cocktails. Long hot days, abundance of fresh fruit and herbs just beg to be mixed in a summery “I want to getaway to a tropical place” type of a drink. This drink evokes that feeling for me. It is not too sweet, the mint makes it refreshing and the rum gives it just enough of a tropical feel that is reminiscent of a perfect getaway.
In addition to eating fresh strawberries, mixing them in smoothies, plain yogurt this cocktail is a great way to use up extra berries from the Farmer’s Market
Because this mix of strawberry mint deliciousness is so easy to make, it makes it a clear winner for summer entertaining. I can just picture all the guests mingling, cooling of with this strawberry mojito while the grill is going and summer music is playing. Is it obvious that this my favorite time of the year?
This is prepared by muddling strawberries, mint, sugar and rum in a cocktail shaker. In fact, a shaker is optional. A mason jar works great! Once a sweet strawberry paste forms, pour into a glass over ice and add either a splash of ginger beer or just sparkling water plain or flavor. I like using ginger beer for the extra spice which I think goes great with strawberries, but for sparkling water I use La Croix Berry.
- 4 ripe strawberries, hulled
- 5 fresh mint leaves
- 2 T sugar
- 2 oz rum
- Splash of Ginger Beer or sparkling water such as La Croix
- Place strawberries and mint leaves and in a cocktail shaker Muddle or mash strawberries and mint until a paste forms.
- Add the sugar and rum, mix well. Pour into a glass, top with a splash of sparkling water or ginger beer. Serve over ice.
- Drink can be entirely mixed in the shaker and strained then a few tablespoons of the paste added back